Name:
Location: Florida

see interests, AGE 63-2010 CONTACT: kelscientific@hotmail.com

Sunday, January 15, 2006

What size speaker should the satellites have in a satellite system

I think it was BOSE that created the first sub-satellite system but I could be wrong. A satellite speaker is a small speaker that handles the freqencies of audio from 81hz,100hz and perhaps 101-120hz. A subwoofer attached to the satellite system would handle low freqencies below 81hz,100hz and101-120hz.

With the exception of the BOSE system, most satellites have been running as a two way system with a tweeter and a 4 inch woofer. I have noticed an increase of satellites with speakers that are two way types with 3 to 31/2 inch woofers. I really do not know how well these may play in a large room. In addition, their freqency response would not leave me happy if they are above 100 hz for the lowest freaquency. If they are above 100 hz, then it likens the possibility of being able to tell where your subwoofer is in the system which is what you are trying to avoid. Recently, I heard some Mirage Omnistats with the Mirage S-12 subwoofer. I tried a crossover setting on a Marantz receiver at 80 and 100hz. A test report on the Mirage Omnistats exclaimed that they would play best at 80 cycles since they could reproduce some mid-bass. That report was dead-on. 80hz was the best setting.

My system is a budget system using two-way 4 inch Minimus 7 speakers. I like two-way 4 inch speakers. They do work well. Years ago, I had a pair of Minimus speakers that had a 5 inch woofer. I believe that a satellite system with 5 or 5 l/4 inch speakers would have more gusto. Would I use larger speakers as a satellite?

When I was a kid, I noticed that the magic diameter number for a speaker to start producing its own proper bass response was 6 inches. If I had a satellite system with 6 to 6 1/2 inch woofers, I would want a receiver that gave me the option of crossovers below 80hz. I would only want the sub to produce the lowest bass notes strictly as a fill in. IMHO any speaker less than 6 inches cannot produce its own proper bass response on its own. A 80 to 100 hz receiver setting should do, but in a lifetime, it is impossible to experiment with different types of speaker sizes because one does not have the time nor money to be able to experiment in this way.

If you are purchasing satellite systems with speakers whose woofer is below 4 inches in size, be sure you purchase from a place that will give a money back guarantee. If you like what you hear, and you paid a good price, you should keep the system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home