Name:
Location: Florida

see interests, AGE 63-2010 CONTACT: kelscientific@hotmail.com

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

DIGITAL IS DIGITAL-BAH HUMBUG

Anybody who says this in relationship to cables,dvd-r software and other things offhand that I cannot think of this minute is off their rocker.

I have had software issues transferring videos to dvd-r in my Samsung dvd recorder. The best looking disc was an offbrand, but had glitches that lost data and froze video info at spots. I used a Comp Usa 4x dvd-R. It worked with good color but the video was noisy. I had a 16X Sony-that was good; also the same for a Ritedata 8x blank. I have a stack of HP 16X blanks which gave me no glitches but I did not like the video results in playback.

I have also found coax cables to vary in their sound quality in carrying the digital data from a dvd player to a receiver. The best cable was a plain vanilla cable bought for a few bucks at a store and delivered sound to my receiver.What I think occurs is that the make-up of the wire or in other words the chemical mixture that makes up the wire can effect the ones and zeroes on the digital data providing a "signature" that could be favorable or unfavorable to the digital reproduction of that data being carried to your receiver.

I have also heard diffeneces in speaker wire as well. Since I fool with 18 gauge wire(I am not going into the reason) at times I found that when I had different brands on hand that some worked better than others on certain applications. It's all trial and error, folks. Wire can make a system sound like crap regardless of the name or brand if it just doesn't do what it is supposed to do in carrying those electrons properly and adds a crappy "signature" to those electrons.

What I described above is not too different then going to the store and looking at a digital broadcast of a tv show on say 5 40 inch high-def televisions and seeing differences in their picture quality between the 5 sets because each set has its own way of displaying a picture and processing video.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home